Saturday, December 26, 2009

Countdown of Changes


1) Soaking grains - whole grains contain phytic acid which combines with iron, calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc in the intestinal tract, blocking their absorption, as well as enzyme inhibitors that can interfere with digestion. Soaking neutralizes this affect, making nutrients available and more digestible. 12/15/09

2) Drinking coconut milk - contains calcium, potassium, chloride, vitamin A and E; helps to reduce blood pressure, blood sugar, and improve bone and dental health; contains lauric acid that has anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. 12/16/09

3) Organic eggs, free-range if possible - source of protein and healthy fat, vitamins A, D, B12, B2, Niacin, Choline, Folic Acid, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are yellow or orange carotenoids that reduce the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. 12/28/09
Changed to Eggs from grass-fed Chickens most of the time 9/2/11

4) Sea salt - less refined so it still contains traces of other minerals, including iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine. 12/28/09

5) Raw Milk - from the dairy to my home; contains the full spectrum of amino acids and is a complete protein. It is packed with folic acid, B vitamins, vitamin C, omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients that are mostly or completely destroyed in pasteurization. It offers a perfect balance of minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Raw milk also contains live enzymes necessary for digesting food and enjoying good health. 1/6/10

6) No Non-dairy Creamers - this is the first No for me. It's been one of those sweet indulgences I have clung to, no matter what. That was, until I added fresh, raw milk to my coffee (yes, I'm holding onto coffee). So then I checked into what bad, but hitherto unknown, things were in my creamer: partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, which are the deadly trans-fats so much in the news these days. Now that I know, it makes it a little easier to let go. I ran out of it on Tuesday, gave it a once-over in the refrigerator section at the grocery store, and walked on by. So long Creme Brulee creamer!

7) Coconut Oil - contains antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. I have begun cooking with it regularly and add it to a cup of tea, usually once a day. At first I wasn't too keen on that, but then I tried putting it in a cup of Chai tea with a little milk - it blends perfectly with the milk and spices, yummy! 1/11/10

8) Cod liver oil - DHA (a fatty acid that is essential to the health of your nervous system and eyes), EPA (a fatty acid that promotes a healthy cardiovascular system and decreases inflammation throughout your body), Vitamins A and D. I chose to go with Carlson's Lemon Flavored Cod Liver Oil and am taking a tsp. every other day. I heat up about 1/4 cup of water, mix the oil and a little maple syrup and drink it down. I had fears of "Bluck!" in my mind, but it's actually pretty good. Had the girls try it as well the other morning - A wasn't sold, but L was finished when I turned around and declared it delicious! 1/16/10

9) Limit Desserts - I have always been one who has thought I could manage my eating habits on my own, and that if I say "no" to myself in this area I would create a whiplash effect of self-sabotaging rebellion. Well, in the first regard - who was I kidding? I need some accountability! And in regards to the second fear - I'm afraid I have just been using this excuse as a crutch to (once again) avoid accountability. So, as I am also a realist - my limit will begin at four sweet indulgences per week. Oh, I'm a meanie! 3/15/10

10) Crispy Nuts - for much the same reason as I soak my grains. Evidently grains, flours, beans, and nuts all benefit from soaking. When it comes to nuts, I soak to break down enzyme inhibitors and encourage the production of beneficial enzymes. Plus, we absolutely love eating them this way - they are delicious! 4/6/10

11) Bone Broth - rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, glucosamine, chondroitin, glycine, and trace minerals which are easily absorbed by our bodies. Mitigates the crippling effects of arthritis and joint pain; also rich in gelatin which is an inexpensive source of protein and shows promise in the fight against degenerative joint disease. I made broth from leftover shrimp shells last weekend and have two pots of chicken bone broth cooling in my fridge right now. Beef bone broth is next! 4/6/10

12) Kefir - you can find a huge list of kefir's benefits at this source. My primary reasons are that I have heard this has a tremendous probiotic power. Also, I am hoping that it may help my dh's cholesterol levels - wouldn't that be nice? I made my first kefir smoothie today - blended in strawberries, mango, pineapple, flax seeds, and banana. Umm-umm-good! 4/30/10

13) Support my local Farmers - I've been ordering local beef and pork, and purchasing local pasture fed chicken eggs for at least a year.  Now I'm adding buying produce from our local farmer's market. 6/4/11


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers