Friday, April 2, 2010

Mayacobas y Verdes


In English: Mayacoba Beans and Greens. I have long wanted to try my hand at just such a dish. I am posting this at Food On Fridays w/ Ann Kroeker. I picked up this bag of unusual beans at my local grocery store. I sound a bit like I'm cousin to Jack and the Beanstalk, don't I? These beans have become a quick favorite with my family - smooth, buttery, and filling. You may substitute cannellini or another of your preference.

Mayacoba y Verdes

1/2 bag of washed Mayacoba beans, soaked overnight, pressure cooked in fresh water for 30 minutes, allowed to cool to release pressure. Then add:
1 16 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1/2 T comino
1 T Mexican oregano
1 T chili powder
salt to taste
2-6 cloves of minced garlic tossed in

In another pot throw in 3 lbs. of mixed greens - turnip, mustard, collard, etc. or one of your choice. Add 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth and 2-6 more minced cloves of garlic. Cook down til as soft as you like them, stirring from time to time.

Add to the beans and stir to combine nicely. Serve sprinkled with queso fresco and the comfort that you are ladling out health and contentment.

"Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite." Auguste Escoffier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers