Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thai Beef Liver with Coconut Rice and Green Sauce

I should have added Beef Liver to my list of New Year's Resolutions - I love being able to put checks in little boxes. I'm the kind of person who goes back and adds things to my to-do-list if I did them but they weren't on the list in the first place. They should have been, and I want credit for them. I feel so certain that this is right and just that I don't begrudge anybody else doing the same. ;D

Like most American kiddos, I have memories of the occasional sight and smell of liver and onions showing up for dinner. It wasn't bad necessarily, but it wasn't quite up there at average on the tasty response meter either. Well, this ain't your Mama's liver, honey! My family says the sauce is what really pushes it over to the category of "welcome back" meals they'll be pleased to see again. And they ate what was leftover for lunch the next day without a word of encouragement from me!

Marinade

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 T garam masala
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T minced ginger
2 minced cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt

1 good sized pasture-fed beef liver cut in slices 1/4" thick

Mix marinade ingredients in non-reactive bowl and place the liver in to rest at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Saute in batches that will fit your pan without crowding in 1-2 T coconut oil on med heat until cooked through. I had heard that liver curls in an unruly fashion, so I made intermittent cuts every inch or so down each slice. That seemed to help quite well.

Green Sauce
In blender mix this all up well:
2 cups fresh cilantro
1 cup unsweetened grated coconut
1 T fresh chopped ginger
1 tsp comino
2 garlic cloves
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup of water
1 tsp sea salt

We tried an online recipe for coconut rice a while back, and my kids clamor for it every chance they get now. Serve plates with rice, then liver placed on top, graced with some of our zesty green sauce, and a sweet sprinkling of toasted coconut for a pretty finish.

I am going to post this at Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesdays. Let me know what you think! If you've been wanting to try making liver for your family because of it's nutritional benefits, perhaps this will give you just the incentive you're looking for.

ConsumiciĆ³n sana feliz!









2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good, even though I am no fan of liver. It's supposedly good for women, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this, sounds good.Actually dad is the cook so I will ask him to make it. He has a hard time not adding to it. You know his theory, everything but the kitchen sink.

    ReplyDelete

Followers