Saturday, March 27, 2010

Monkey Magnet

If you have kids, or are somebody's kid, you know what it's like to see yourself in someone else, or the reflections family cast upon eachother. My son Q's mix of emotionalism and logic is a carbon copy of his Papa. Within the first day of receiving my daughter, A, I saw both the artistic and the bold side in her that echoed the child Me. R's march to his own drumbeat is unique to himself, yet we constantly see the all-so-familiar patterns of his brothers in him. L marveled us with her unintended reproduction of D back when he was a little firecracker, even down to facial expressions of open delight that seemed cast from her brother's countenance.
And there are times when I just have to turn to my husband after one of our children behaves in a way that mystifies him, and say, "I'm sorry." My genes, my influence.... rising up beyond my power or control, I see a visage of myself in them - usually maddening or perplexing my patient Love.  
And with such sweet knowing of one another, sharing shades of one another's ways, comes the unique opportunity to play as only family can. With my boys, this sometimes shows up in needling me up to the line from time to time. You know that line that says, "This far and no farther - beyond this place there be Dragons - or at least a Mama you don't want to mess with." Q goes more for shock effect, laughing at my no-nonsense responses as I push back (usually without any real cleverness); D likes to "noodge" me with exasperating phrases like 'hip-hop' and 'whatever'; Ro's ventures show up more in daring antics that border on the foolhardy - like matches getting too close. My suspicion is that underneath it all, they are grateful there is a line for their hippie mother turned sold-out follower of The Way.


This little "pretty" is also for D.
His search for a balance between boundaries and freedom sounds an answering quest within my own soul. The magnet is a wry, wacky poke at the struggle.  Remember that into each day He brings us something to smile at.  It could be something goofy like this, or a sunset, or the thoughtfulness of others, or the opportunity to do good.  The Word is a gift that never perishes or fades:

*Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

Christ is the answer and the power, D, always.....

*James 1:2-6




3 comments:

  1. I always liked Jason the best. He was my favorite sibling.

    And I notice that monkey cares about one thing: telling people not to care.

    It's a good verse. It's easier to use Gideon's fleece test, but I guess we have to depend on the verse instead. I'll have to remember it when I'm feeling tested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing about Gideon...He's famous for putting God to the test, but if you go on to read Judges 7 you see the Lord then puts Gideon to the test, cutting his provision of fighting men from 30,000 to 300. There's a lesson in there, my son.

    (Always with the lesson) I can hear you, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The verse will fit many difficulties in life, some more serious than others but in the end there is only ONE WAY.

    ReplyDelete

Followers